A Clearwater Electrician in FL Explains All
We had recently written a piece about the benefits of installing a solar panel system in your residential home. But did you know that solar panels could benefit your business as well? Commercial solar projects are on the rise. As we have explained before, the big electric companies in Florida have discouraged the use of solar power for their own interests. But even in this regulated field there are still benefits as to why you should install a clean solar energy system in your residential or commercial property. Here are a few common questions answered from a highly experienced Clearwater electrician when it comes to all things solar!
1. What is a solar panel system?
A solar panel system also referred to as a photovoltaic module (not as common, we will admit), is a tool that converts light energy generated from the sun into electricity. Installing a solar panel system is the most economical way to powering your home or business.
2. Does solar panels only work when it is sunny?
This is quite a common question that we get asked. A lot of the trepidation associated with solar power is the fear that if it is a cloudy day, your residential or commercial property will simply have no electricity. Another fear is that during the night you simply have to make do with a back up source of energy. But for all of you late night TV enthusiasts, fear not. Solar panels require light, but it does not have to come in the form of direct sunlight. It is the photons in natural daylight, which is converted by the solar panel cells to produce electricity. Even on the cloudiest of days an East-West Electric installed solar panel system will generate enough power. Also, as we will go into greater detail below, our solar power systems have the capability to store power to be used later on. So there won’t be a time when you need to break out the candles and torches.
3. What are the benefits of installing solar panels?
There are three main reasons why we, a professional electrician company in Clearwater would recommend converting to a fully integrated solar power system.
Solar Power is Environmentally Friendly
- Solar power is a form of clean renewable energy. It does not erode the earth’s natural non-renewable resources and does not further damage the environment.
Solar Power Is Financially Beneficial For You
- The biggest difference our clients see is the savings they make on a monthly basis on their electricity bill. The initial cost of the installation will seem like a drop in the ocean compared to the savings you will find in the long run. Solar panels have been known to pay for themselves in as little as 1 year, depending on the system you have in place. Also, as residents in Florida, those who install solar energy systems to use in place of conventional energy systems do not have to pay Florida state sales or use tax on any of the components used in the system. There is also the possibility of the electricity companies paying you! Yes, you read that right. As your property is still connected to the electricity system, if it is producing more energy than you are using, that surplus energy gets put back into the system. The electric company will then reimburse you. For more on Net Metering, visit our article here.
Solar Power Increases The Value Of You Property
- It is inevitable that green energy is the future and should be encouraged as much as possible. Having a fully integrated solar power system will not only save you money in your energy bills, but it will also increase the value of your home. We have an estimate that for every $1 you save in your energy bell, you add $20 to the value of your property. Now that might seem like minimal at first, but if you are saving $1,000 a year, that’s $20,000 increased value.
4. Are solar panels more effective in sunlight?
As we have mentioned before, solar panels use silicon photovoltaic cells to convert daylight into energy rather than sunlight. However, sunlight is optimum. The cells in solar panels maximize the amount of light that hits them through mirrors and lenses. So even on the cloudiest of days they will still be up to 50% as effective as if they were interacting with direct sunlight. This isn’t an issue for the ‘Sunshine State, Florida, the third most suitable state in the United States for solar power usage.
5. How long does it take to install a solar panel system?
As with all systems our installation time depends on the complexity and size of the system in place. For an average residential home we would require 3-5 business days. For a commercial project it could take longer, again depending on the size and scale of the project. You can call us today to speak to one of our experience Clearwater electricians if you have any questions on (727) 771-9403.
6. Is solar energy enough to power a commercial project?
The power produced by a solar panel is dependent on three things. We have already stated that Florida is an ideal state for the use of solar technology.
The size of the solar panel.
- The more solar panels you have, the more photons they will interact with, the more power produced.
The efficiency of the cells in the solar panel.
- There is a difference between some solar panel cells. The more efficient manufactured ones will cost more, however investing in the power of solar is a long term goal, you will reap the benefits of it. We have the ability to install any professionally manufactured solar power cells in your homes or business. If you need some advice on which solar panel system to go with you can always call us on (727) 771-9403 and we will be happy to offer you advice.
The amount of exposure the solar panel has to sunlight.
- This depends on the orientation of your property, and what natural and artificial obstructions it is surrounded by. For properties in the northern hemisphere it is ideal to have solar panels installed on roofs that are facing south, to get the most sunlight at prime times of the day. The shape of the roof also comes in to play, as a flat roof would have the sunlight hitting at angles.
When all of this is calculated we can come up with a good estimate of how much power will be produced by your projected system. The technology in solar cells has increased over time. In 2012 it was calculated that the typical solar cell would convert 15% of the energy into usable power. Now it is operating at over 20%, with future advancements inevitable.
7. Can solar energy be stored?
As we have already confirmed solar panels cannot convert light into energy (electricity) during the night. But there is a solution. Our experienced Clearwater electricians can have rechargeable batteries act as a generator in your home. They can build up and store electricity during the day and provide power throughout the night. They are so efficient that you won’t even notice that you are using stored energy.
Why is choosing an experienced Clearwater electrician important?
It is simple really we have been in the electricity game for a long time. With over 30 years of experience delivering exceptional service at an affordable price, we believe we provide the best electric service in the business. We have already installed countless solar power systems in homes and businesses alike. Now is the time to go green when it comes to producing energy. Give us a call at (727) 771-9403 to speak to a Clearwater electrician about your solar project today! You can also find our online contact form here.