If you are a property manager or you own a business, you probably always want to improve efficiency and cut costs. What you can definitely do is figure out how to save energy in your establishment. This will help you reduce your electricity bill and have a smaller environmental footprint. Follow these tips to save electricity in your commercial buildings and save energy.
1. Fix And Upgrade The Lights
Upgrading your commercial building or office lighting systems, particularly if it’s been a few years and the lights flicker, is a critical way to slash your energy usage. In fact, it’s one of the most effective ways how to save energy at the office Just think: how many people in your buildings remember to turn off all the lights when they leave a room? When was the last time you had your commercial electrical contractor check whether your office buildings were using the most efficient lighting systems available at that time? You can save energy and money by upgrading your office lighting to the latest systems:
- First, install motion-sensitive lighting in areas that aren’t in constant use, like conference rooms, restrooms, parking areas, and breakrooms. This removes the problem of forgetful team members not turning off the lights. After a certain amount of time without detecting any motion in a certain area, the system automatically shuts the lights off, thereby saving you up to 80 percent in lighting costs.
- Upgrade to LED Lights. You can reduce your electric bill down to 60% and save energy
- LED lighting also lasts considerably longer and requires less maintenance over the long haul, so it’s a wise choice for many applications in your office and commercial buildings.
2. Take Advantage of Power Management Settings on Office Equipment
Make sure that you set all office computers, printers, and other equipment to the most efficient energy-saving modes available. You shouldn’t walk past a vacant computer and see a screensaver anymore. You should be seeing a shutdown screen.
3. Don’t take Power Management Automation for Granted, However
As wonderfully simple as it is to set power management defaults for your office equipment and other electrical systems, it’s important to double-check them on a regular basis as these controls can get reset or overridden from time to time. Set a reminder to check power saving settings throughout your commercial buildings and offices each month, and especially during seasonal changes, to make sure everything is set to the most energy-efficient setting on a regular basis.
4. Update Your Server Rooms
Server rooms are essential these days. But, many companies are seeing huge energy savings by migrating at least some of their data to a cloud hosting system. If you’re not ready to take that step, consult with your IT manager to find other energy-saving options like bumping up the inlet temperatures for your servers or improving air-flow management.
5. Keep Motors and HVAC Systems Maintained and Updated
Every year, it’s important to have your motors synchronized and HVAC systems checked. This to ensure they are operating at their most efficient capacities. When these systems are working harder than they need to, they can pose a considerable drain on your energy resources and jack up your electrical bills.
6. Adopt Energy-Saving Thermostat Settings
We’ve all been there: the office thermostat wars! Someone always fighting to get it colder or warmer. To save energy, it’s important to have energy-efficient, programmable thermostats installed in your commercial buildings. And, to have management make the call on the most energy-efficient settings at different times of the year. Encouraging employees who run hot to bring a small fan for their cubicle. While encouraging employees who run cold to bring an extra layer simply makes good energy sense. You can’t keep everyone happy with the thermostat. And while you’re at it, make sure you’re not heating or cooling any rooms that don’t need it.
7. Call Your Commercial Electrician for an Energy Audit
East-West Electric’s premier commercial electrical services team can go through your commercial buildings to discover even more energy-saving opportunities for your office than these. Every office is unique, so a customized look around can help you discover other ways to save energy. Contact us today to schedule an energy-saving office evaluation at (727) 771-9403.