Is walking down your basement giving you chills down your spine? Your basement doesn’t have to look like it’s straight out of a horror movie. Choosing the right lighting options for basements will make them look more inviting. Whether your basement is your home office, your game room, or a den, installing the right lighting is vital. Learn below about the right basement lighting options for you and how they can help you use your space better.
Lighting Options To Set the Mood
Basements are dark and dingy by design. It’s up to you to transform it into something functional and welcoming. Installing the right lights for the intended use of the space can help you set the mood.
Ambient lighting improves any room’s visibility, including a dark basement. This lighting is also known as general lighting and it can gently illuminate the entire space. It’s a good way to start any lighting project. Ambient lighting is a warm and soft glow that can be really easy on the eyes and good for relaxing. Ambient lighting can be the ideal solution for basement den light fixtures.
Focused and bright task lighting makes reading, writing, drawing, or studying easier, making this type of lighting vital for home office and basement workshops. Task lighting can be more concentrated, so it can help you stay alert and stimulated. If your home office is situated in the basement, task lighting is crucial.
This type of lighting is a great option if you have an art collection to show off in a gallery in the basement. Accent lighting illuminates specific focal areas in your home. You can use this lighting to accentuate the architectural elements of your home or to highlight certificates, photographs, or artwork.
While we recommend starting with ambient lighting for your basement lighting project, we can also include accent lights or task lights. There are no rules when it comes to designing and setting a mood in your basement.
All There Is To Know About Basement Light Fixtures
Once you choose which types of lighting you want, it’s time to get some new fixtures. But, which lighting fixtures are the best for your home basement?
Here is a list of the most popular lighting fixtures for your basement you can consider:
- Recessed lights: basements have something in common: low ceilings. If yours has a suspended ceiling, you will benefit from recessed can lighting. These fixtures can provide enough ambient light while reducing glare and shadows.
- Track lights: Do you want something easy to install? Track lighting fixtures don’t need a lot of wall space. It doesn’t matter what kind of lights you want, you can get a customized track fixture designed to fit your needs.
- Pendant lights: you can create depth and texture by installing pendant lights in your basement. You can hang them from the ceiling and illuminate concentrated areas. Pendant lights can give you focused task lighting and also accent lighting.
- Industrial lights: maybe your basement is unfinished and has exposed beams and concrete walls. If this is the case, you can install industrial fixtures that can provide enough light while at the same time highlighting your basement’s bones.
- Window lights: does your basement have no windows? You can actually create some by using fluorescent lights. You can paint a wall white, install some blinds and install fluorescent lights on that wall. Nobody will know the difference.
Tips for Choosing the Best Lighting Options For Basements
When it comes to basement lights there are so many options, but which ones are the right ones for you? Follow these tips to choose:
- For a game room, hang pendant lights over a pool table to illuminate it. You won’t have to worry about losing a game because of bad lighting.
- If you’re looking for a study/workspace, ambient lighting is needed. You should also install a track or pendant light to create some kind of task lighting. This way you will stay focused and productive.
- Is your basement a movie theater? You want a dimly lit basement, so you can install recessed lighting on the floor to lead people back up the stairs without interrupting the movie.
- Are you selling your home? If you choose traditional light fixtures these will fit any homebuyer. If you have a refinished basement it will offer a 75% ROI, so adding new lighting will increase the buyer’s motivation.
Basement Lighting Installation Contractors in Clearwater, FL
Whether you need den light fixtures, an illuminated game room, or a well-lit home office, there are so many options to choose from. If you want to remodel your basement, the first thing to look into is lighting fixtures. East-West Electric provides professional residential lighting installation services. Let us transform that dark basement into a usable, functional space. Call us at (727) 771-9403 for a free quote.